Failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

Failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

Jeffrey Walton
Hi Everyone,

I downloaded, built and installed the latest Valgrind from sources.
There were no special config options - just './config' (IIRC). After
installation I deleted Valgrind source and build directory.

I'm experiencing the following on Solaris 11.3 (x86_64):

  $ valgrind ./cryptest.exe
  valgrind: failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform
'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

And:

  $ which valgrind
  /usr/local/bin/valgrind

Someone's blog post appears to be telling me to put one of the build
directories on-path:
http://gallinar.blogspot.com/2011/07/valgrind-failed-to-start-tool-memcheck.html.

How do I fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Re: Failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

iraisr
Hi Everyone,

I downloaded, built and installed the latest Valgrind from sources.
There were no special config options - just './config' (IIRC). After
installation I deleted Valgrind source and build directory.

I'm experiencing the following on Solaris 11.3 (x86_64):

  $ valgrind ./cryptest.exe
  valgrind: failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform
'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

Thank you for trying valgrind on Solaris!
Please have a look at README.solaris, it explains that:

Compilation
-----------
Please follow the generic instructions in the README file.

The configure script detects a canonical host to determine which version of
Valgrind should be built. If the system compiler by default produces 32-bit
binaries then only a 32-bit version of Valgrind will be built. To enable
compilation of both 64-bit and 32-bit versions on such a system, issue the
configure script as follows:
./configure CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64'

Kind regards,
I.

Re: Failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

Jeffrey Walton
>> I'm experiencing the following on Solaris 11.3 (x86_64):
>>
>>   $ valgrind ./cryptest.exe
>>   valgrind: failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform
>> 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory
>
> Thank you for trying valgrind on Solaris!
> Please have a look at README.solaris, it explains that:
>
> Compilation
> -----------
> Please follow the generic instructions in the README file.
>
> The configure script detects a canonical host to determine which version of
> Valgrind should be built. If the system compiler by default produces 32-bit
> binaries then only a 32-bit version of Valgrind will be built. To enable
> compilation of both 64-bit and 32-bit versions on such a system, issue the
> configure script as follows:
> ./configure CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64'

Thanks Ivo. I read README.solaris. Sorry about missing it earlier.

The kernel is 64-bit:

    $ isainfo -k
    amd64

But the machine supports both i386 and x86_64:

    $ isainfo
    amd64 i386

Is it possible to support both architectures with the same binary?

Jeff

Re: Failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory

Jeffrey Walton
>> I'm experiencing the following on Solaris 11.3 (x86_64):
>>
>>   $ valgrind ./cryptest.exe
>>   valgrind: failed to start tool 'memcheck' for platform
>> 'amd64-solaris': No such file or directory
>
> Thank you for trying valgrind on Solaris!
> Please have a look at README.solaris, it explains that:
>
> Compilation
> -----------
> Please follow the generic instructions in the README file.
>
> The configure script detects a canonical host to determine which version of
> Valgrind should be built. If the system compiler by default produces 32-bit
> binaries then only a 32-bit version of Valgrind will be built. To enable
> compilation of both 64-bit and 32-bit versions on such a system, issue the
> configure script as follows:
> ./configure CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64'

Thanks again Ivo. Does this look related to the flags. I don't recall
experiencing it last time:

$ make

if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
  make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
fi; test -z "$fail"
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /export/home/jwalton/valgrind-3.11.0
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'