How can I assist with Valgrind on macOS?

How can I assist with Valgrind on macOS?

Jonathan Leffler
Hi,

I've just joined this list with a view to helping get Valgrind working on macOS Sierra.  However, I have just run an update, as I had done every month or two since 3.12 was released (it looks like my last attempt was in February), and to my delight, it worked.

Checked out external at revision 3376.

Checked out revision 16398.

​Thank you to whoever made the changes to fix this.

How can I help with (in particular) ports of Valgrind to Mac, or development of Valgrind for Mac?​  Who should I consult with?

I normally have one or two MacBook Pros available (one my own, one the company's) on which I can do the work, and they're normally running the latest version of the o/s (so they're both on 10.12.5 now).  I am a registered Mac Developer, so I could get hold of advance versions of next releases of macOS, but I'm a little reluctant to install them on my machines (so I've never done it yet).  I have many years of experience programming in C.

--
Jonathan Leffler <[hidden email]>  #include <disclaimer.h>
Guardian of DBD::Informix - v2015.1101 - http://dbi.perl.org

Re: How can I assist with Valgrind on macOS?

John Reiser
> I normally have one or two MacBook Pros available (one my own, one the company's) on which I can do the work, and they're normally running the latest version of the o/s (so they're both on 10.12.5 now).  I am a registered Mac Developer, so I could get hold of advance versions of next releases of
> macOS, but I'm a little reluctant to install them on my machines (so I've never done it yet).

Find (or buy: 1TB for $60) an external USB3.0 drive, make a 100GB partition
[suggestion: format the remainder for TimeMachine backup], install the beta
of Mac OS (~4.5GB download) using your Developer access.
Boot that partition (hold down the Option key at the power-on or reboot chime),
and Sleep overnight with the battery charger and internet connected.  The
latest beta release of Mac OS will appear within a couple days of its release.
10.12.6 beta appeared yesterday (~1.6GB download, one-half hour install.)
If it does not behave properly, then you can always boot and run the stable
version from your internal drive.

Re: How can I assist with Valgrind on macOS?

Rich Coe
On Thu, 18 May 2017 16:41:53 -0700
Jonathan Leffler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How can I help with (in particular) ports of Valgrind to Mac, or
> development of Valgrind for Mac?  Who should I consult with?

(Anyone jump in if I've gotten anything completely wrong.)

If you wish, set a cron job to run a nightly regression test.
The instructions are in 'nightly/README.txt'.  You can send your results
to the Valgrind-testresults mailing list.

If you see a broken test, investigate the reason and (try? to) fix it.
Also check to see if it's been reported in bugzilla.

Having a regression test run on all platforms means that recent changes that
cause issues are caught sooner.

Look through the current buglist in docs/internals/3_12_BUGSTATUS.txt.
If you work on it, you can propose a patch by posting to the
developer list and attaching the patch to the bug so it doesn't get lost.

Rich
--
Rich Coe     [hidden email]