Re: valgrind support for glibc/kernel arm64 HWCAPS

Re: valgrind support for glibc/kernel arm64 HWCAPS

Mark Wielaard-3
On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 00:26 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 July 2017 09:12 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > I am not sure I understand this part.
> > What are micro-architecture specific routines?
>
> These are routines written specifically for vendor CPUs, such as the
> thunderx version of memcpy and memmove.  The HWCAP_CPUID allows for such
> routines to be launched on the correct hardware, but when run under
> valgrind, those routines will not get called and any potential bugs in
> those routines may get masked.

aha. We probably already intercept such implementations of memcpy and
memmove with our own versions anyway. See the shared/vg_replace_strmem.c
source in valgrind for some of the reasons for intercepting these hyper
optimized string/memory functions.

Cheers,

Mark