[Summer of Code]Porting valgrind to NetBSD

[Summer of Code]Porting valgrind to NetBSD

Ruibiao Qiu
Hi all

I would like to port the nice valgrind tools to NetBSD i386 platform as the
Google Summer of Code project.  What are the issues that I should be
careful with when I port valgrind to NetBSD?  Since there is a FreeBSD port
for valgrind-stable-352, I would start with that, and make necessary changes
to fit NetBSD.  Any comment/suggestion/feedback is highly appreciated.

Please cc your reply to me as I am not currently on the mailing list now.
Thanks.

/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
    Ruibiao Qiu                      [hidden email]
    Research Assistant               [hidden email]
    Applied Research Laboratory      [hidden email]
    Department of Computer Science   [hidden email]
        and Engineering              [hidden email]
    Washington University            http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~ruibiao
    Campus Box 1045                  http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~ruibiao
    One Brookings Drive              Tel. (314)935-4163
    St. Louis, MO 63130-4899, USA    Fax  (314)935-7302
\____________________________________________________________________/

Re: [Summer of Code]Porting valgrind to NetBSD

Dennis Lubert
At 19:43 13.06.2005, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I would like to port the nice valgrind tools to NetBSD i386 platform as
>the Google Summer of Code project.  What are the issues that I should be
>careful with when I port valgrind to NetBSD?  Since there is a FreeBSD
>port for valgrind-stable-352, I would start with that, and make necessary
>changes to fit NetBSD.  Any comment/suggestion/feedback is highly appreciated.

Wasnt the FreeBSD port of the 2.x version ?
Maybe you should try to work on the current 3.x svn tree, so the 3.x works
on netbsd too. The experiences you will make will probably be useful for
porting it to other BSDs or BSD derived systems.

greets

Dennis

Carpe quod tibi datum est

Re: [Summer of Code]Porting valgrind to NetBSD

njn (Bugzilla)-2
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Dennis Lubert wrote:

>> I would like to port the nice valgrind tools to NetBSD i386 platform as the
>> Google Summer of Code project.  What are the issues that I should be
>> careful with when I port valgrind to NetBSD?  Since there is a FreeBSD port
>> for valgrind-stable-352, I would start with that, and make necessary
>> changes to fit NetBSD.  Any comment/suggestion/feedback is highly
>> appreciated.
>
> Wasnt the FreeBSD port of the 2.x version ? Maybe you should try to work
> on the current 3.x svn tree, so the 3.x works on netbsd too. The
> experiences you will make will probably be useful for porting it to
> other BSDs or BSD derived systems. greets

The FreeBSD port was against an earlier version.  It should still be very
instructive.

But things have changed quite a bit between 2.X and the pre-3.0 line, so
as Dennis says working against the 3.0 line would make more sense.  It
should be more amenable to OS ports than the 2.X line, but you should
beware that it's still in flux -- things are currently being moved around
a lot for modularisation reasons, so picking a current snapshot and
working just from that (not updating) might be the best way to go.  Then,
if you get it working well you could update for any changes.

Another thing:  3.0 supports both x86 and amd64.  Any new port will
actually be an arch/OS pair, eg. x86-freebsd or amd64-freebsd, because
there is some platform-specific code.  However, if you get one working it
shouldn't be much more work to get the other working.

People have worked on other OS ports;  I know there are/have been Darwin,
Solaris and DragonflyBSD ports under development.  The authors of these
might have suggestions or advice.

Finally, this is a nice goal to aim for, but I hope you have a pretty
detailed knowledge of how NetBSD works, since Valgrind does lots of
low-level OS interactions, and ports are definitely non-trivial -- much
more so than for more normal programs.  (Doug Rabson, the FreeBSD porter,
is a long-time FreeBSD kernel hacker, for example.)

Good luck!

Nick