Valgrind 2.4.0 hangs on startup

John Coppens
Hi people.

Please forgive my reposting the issue to this list - it seems the
bugtracking list at sf.net is very little used. Here's a short version of
the problem:

1) valgrind 2.4.0 doesn't start at all (without any parameters). It stops
with just a Segmentation Fault.

2) 2.2.0 does work

3) I tried to trace into valgrind 2.4.0 with gdb, but I'm no expert see
below what little I managed to get.

Both valgrinds were compiled here without errors.

Linux 2.6.11, gcc 3.4.3

------------Here the most important info:
'run'ning in gdb gives segfault and a one-line backtrace:

#0  0xb805c600 in ?? ()

Really stepping gives:

311        init_sp = argv - 1;
315        VALGRIND_MAKE_READABLE(init_sp, sizeof(int));
317        cp = getenv(VALGRINDLIB);
319        if (cp != NULL)
324        getrlimit(RLIMIT_AS, &rlim);
325        rlim.rlim_cur = rlim.rlim_max;
326        setrlimit(RLIMIT_AS, &rlim);
329        jmp_with_stack(main2, (Addr)stack + sizeof(stack));

0xb805c600 in ?? ()

Stepping into jmp_with_stack:

280        err = do_exec(buf, &info);
282        if (err != 0) {
290        padfile = as_openpadfile();
291        as_pad(0, (void *)info.map_base, padfile);
293        esp = fix_auxv(init_sp, &info, padfile);
301        jmp_with_stack((void (*)(void))info.init_eip,
(Addr)esp);

0xb805c600 in ?? ()

Re: Valgrind 2.4.0 hangs on startup

njn (Bugzilla)-2
On Sat, 21 May 2005, John Coppens wrote:

> Please forgive my reposting the issue to this list - it seems the
> bugtracking list at sf.net is very little used. Here's a short version of
> the problem:

Can you track this on our bugzilla page at
http://bugs.kde.org/enter_valgrind_bug.cgi ?  Thanks.

Re: Valgrind 2.4.0 hangs on startup

jeremy (Bugzilla)
John Coppens wrote:

>Hi people.
>
>Please forgive my reposting the issue to this list - it seems the
>bugtracking list at sf.net is very little used. Here's a short version of
>the problem:
>
>1) valgrind 2.4.0 doesn't start at all (without any parameters). It stops
>with just a Segmentation Fault.

Can you try building with "configure --disable-pie"?

Re: Valgrind 2.4.0 hangs on startup

John Coppens
On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:46:15 -0700
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Coppens wrote:
>
> >Hi people.
> >
> >Please forgive my reposting the issue to this list - it seems the
> >bugtracking list at sf.net is very little used. Here's a short version
> >of the problem:
> >
> >1) valgrind 2.4.0 doesn't start at all (without any parameters). It
> >stops with just a Segmentation Fault.
> >

> Can you try building with "configure --disable-pie"?

Hi Jeremy,

Yes - that works. I wonder - if the executable was built with PIE, that's
because support was detected, wasn't it? Why doesn't it work afterwards -
is something missing?

Thanks,
John

John Coppens wrote:

>Yes - that works. I wonder - if the executable was built with PIE, that's
>because support was detected, wasn't it? Why doesn't it work afterwards -
>is something missing?

On some systems, the configure check works, but the final binary
doesn't.  I don't know why yet.