Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Murali Krishna
Hi,

As part of running the valgrind in our  mips64 linux based system, we observed couple of issues.
When tried to execute "ls" with valgrind, we see that the programme is getting crashed.

More information about the valgrind programme are mentioned below.
# file /usr/bin/valgrind
/usr/bin/valgrind: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS64 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, not stripped

# /usr/bin/valgrind --version
valgrind-3.12.0

# valgrind --tool=memcheck ls
==28420== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==28420== Copyright (C) 2002-2015, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==28420== Using Valgrind-3.12.0 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==28420== Command: ls
==28420==
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

We tried to debug the crash file generated in the above case(by attaching to gdb) and observed that stack is corrupted(Valgrind binary has the debug symbols included).
Every time when the crash is generated we observe that the stack is corrupted.

gdb -c memcheck-mips64-SEGV.core /usr/bin/valgrind
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.12.1
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mips64-linux-gnu".
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/valgrind...done.

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
[New LWP 28420]
Core was generated by `valgrind --tool=memcheck ls'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x000000ffee588570 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000ffee588570 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb) quit

We have also observed that below message is getting printed everytime with seperate crash files when attached to gdb.
"warning: core file may not match specified executable file"

I am not very sure whether this is a known issue in the current valgrind version or not.
Could you please provide your inputs on the issue mentioned above.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

Re: Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Petar Jovanovic
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Murali Krishna
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of running the valgrind in our  mips64 linux based system, we
> observed couple of issues.
> When tried to execute "ls" with valgrind, we see that the programme is
> getting crashed.

Can you please try the latest SVN code and let us know if the problem
occurs with it?

Thanks.

Regards,
Petar

Re: Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Murali Krishna
Hi Petar,

Thanks for the response.
As mentioned in my earlier email communication, valgrind version which was running on my system and the latest one available(in the valgrind.org) are same.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

--

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

Re: Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Rhys Kidd
Hello,

Based upon the output of valgrind --version provided you are using valgrind 3.12.0.

Whilst this is indeed the most recently released version, the development team are well progressed through the next cycle.

valgrind 3.13 is not yet released, however Petar was asking that you test the in-development code which we currently host on SVN. It may be that the bug you are experiencing is already fixed.

Instructions to get and build the in-development source code version can be found here:

Best regards,
Rhys

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of running the valgrind in our  mips64 linux based system, we
> observed couple of issues.
> When tried to execute "ls" with valgrind, we see that the programme is
> getting crashed.

Can you please try the latest SVN code and let us know if the problem
occurs with it?

Thanks.

Regards,
Petar

--

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

Re: Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Murali Krishna
Hi Rhys,

Thanks for the info.
I will test the same with the in-development source and will update the results soon.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of running the valgrind in our  mips64 linux based system, we
> observed couple of issues.
> When tried to execute "ls" with valgrind, we see that the programme is
> getting crashed.

Can you please try the latest SVN code and let us know if the problem
occurs with it?

Thanks.

Regards,
Petar

--

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

Re: Valgrind crash observed in mips64 environment when ruuning "valgrind --tool=memcheck ls"

Murali Krishna
Hi,

I tried to reproduce the same with the valgrind trunk code and the issue is not observed.
Please are the observations from the executions.

root@localhost:~$ uname -a
Linux localhost 4.4.36-octeon-44-distro.git-v2.35-42-rc #1 SMP Thu Jun 1 07:15:54 UTC 2017 mips64 GNU/Linux
root@localhost:~$

root@localhost:~$ /usr/bin/valgrind --version
valgrind-3.13.0.SVN
root@localhost:~$
root@localhost:~$ valgrind --tool=memcheck ls
==2617== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==2617== Copyright (C) 2002-2017, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==2617== Using Valgrind-3.13.0.SVN and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==2617== Command: ls
==2617==
==2617==
==2617== HEAP SUMMARY:
==2617==     in use at exit: 144 bytes in 3 blocks
==2617==   total heap usage: 4 allocs, 1 frees, 32,960 bytes allocated
==2617==
==2617== LEAK SUMMARY:
==2617==    definitely lost: 32 bytes in 2 blocks
==2617==    indirectly lost: 112 bytes in 1 blocks
==2617==      possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==2617==    still reachable: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==2617==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
==2617== Rerun with --leak-check=full to see details of leaked memory
==2617==
==2617== For counts of detected and suppressed errors, rerun with: -v
==2617== ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 1 from 1)
root@localhost:~$

Apart from the above mentioned ones, i have tried to execute the below command multiple times on the system without any issues observed.

"valgrind --tool=memcheck  --leak-check=full --show-reachable=yes --error-limit=no  --log-file=log.txt ls -l /"

Could you please share with us,  what has included additionally to the trunk when compared to valgrind-3.12.0.tar.gz.
Also please confirm if there is any possibility of getting these additional changes in the form of a patch so that i can use this officially.

Thanks & Regards,
Muralikrishna CH

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Murali Krishna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could you please share with us,  what has included additionally to the trunk
> when compared to valgrind-3.12.0.tar.gz.
> Also please confirm if there is any possibility of getting these additional
> changes in the form of a patch so that i can use this officially.

Hi Murali,

I am glad to hear you are not seeing the issues with the latest code.

In less than two weeks, Valgrind 3.13 will be released, so the easiest
solution for you would be to wait for it.

In the meantime, you can use a tarball created at:

ftp://sourceware.org/pub/valgrind/valgrind-3.13.0.RC1.tar.bz2
(md5sum = a94957849869f1e50a16d60737cfcc29)

Regards,
Petar