.gcda files are not generated when run on valgrind

.gcda files are not generated when run on valgrind

Ravi Kaipu
Hi,

We have a huge code base which requires a lot of time to check the runtime errors and code coverage (using lcov tool) separately

We have built  the components with coverage flags and are now trying to run on valgrind for .gcda files to find coverage. but, .gcda files are not generated sometimes when run on valgrind. But the same components when run with coverage flags without valgrind generate .gcda files

We are doing this to reduce the execution time of the test case . Can we rely on this method or shall we avoid running on valgrind with coverage flags to get coverage

Has anyone tried like this before ? appreciate any help on this .

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Ravi

Re: .gcda files are not generated when run on valgrind

Ravi Kaipu
Hi,

Could you please respond for the below problem as it is very important.

We will appreciate your efforts.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Ravi

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Ravi Kaipu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We have a huge code base which requires a lot of time to check the runtime errors and code coverage (using lcov tool) separately

We have built  the components with coverage flags and are now trying to run on valgrind for .gcda files to find coverage. but, .gcda files are not generated sometimes when run on valgrind. But the same components when run with coverage flags without valgrind generate .gcda files

We are doing this to reduce the execution time of the test case . Can we rely on this method or shall we avoid running on valgrind with coverage flags to get coverage

Has anyone tried like this before ? appreciate any help on this .

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Ravi

Re: .gcda files are not generated when run on valgrind

John Reiser
What is the smallest program which fails?  Post it here (the source and the build recipe).
If you cannot do that, then tell us its characteristics.
Such as: CPU architecture, compiler and version, C runtime library and version,
size of executable ("/usr/bin/size my_app"), number and size of shared libraries
("/usr/bin/ldd my_app", then 'size' of each library), duration of execution
("time ./my_app arg1..."; telling us "a lot of time", without quantifying it, is useless).

Then, show the system calls of a failing run:
        strace -f -o strace-bad.out -e trace=file valgrind ./my_app arg1...
and pay particular attention to the pathname and directory of what should be
the .gcda files.  Contrast with the system calls of a non-failing run:
        strace -f -o strace-good.out -e trace=file ./my_app arg1...

Yes, this is work for you; but it is the minimal price that you must pay for good answers.

On 11/30/2016 07:56 PM, Ravi Kaipu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you please respond for the below problem as it is very important.
>
> We will appreciate your efforts.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
> Ravi
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Ravi Kaipu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     We have a huge code base which requires a lot of time to check the runtime errors and code coverage (using lcov tool) separately
>
>     We have built  the components with coverage flags and are now trying to run on valgrind for .gcda files to find coverage. but, .gcda files are not generated sometimes when run on valgrind. But the same components when run with coverage flags without valgrind generate .gcda files
>
>     We are doing this to reduce the execution time of the test case . Can we rely on this method or shall we avoid running on valgrind with coverage flags to get coverage
>
>     Has anyone tried like this before ? appreciate any help on this .
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>
>     Regards,
>     Ravi

Re: .gcda files are not generated when run on valgrind

Ravi Kaipu

If you cannot do that, then tell us its characteristics.
Such as: CPU architecture, compiler and version, C runtime library and version,
size of executable ("/usr/bin/size my_app"), number and size of shared libraries
("/usr/bin/ldd my_app", then 'size' of each library), duration of execution
("time ./my_app arg1..."; telling us "a lot of time", without quantifying it, is useless).
   Below are the required details:

CPU Architecture : x86_64
Compiler and version : gcc version 4.6.2 (GCC)
C runtime library and version : libc.so 2.11.1
Number and size of shared libraries : 24 & 8 M.B
Valgrind version : valgrind-3.9.0
Execution time : 10 - 12 hours
Gcov version : gcov (GCC) 4.6.2

CFLAGS += "--coverage -fno-inline -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage"
LDFLAGS += "-lgcov"

I'm working on the small test case with this issue . I will be back with example at the earliest

Thanks,
Ravi