massif question

Paul Harris-4
Hi There,

I'm trying to use valgrind to find out the maximum heap size of my
application, and I'd also really love to get a break down of what's going
to what libs...

is this possible with valgrind? Massif looks to be almost what I want, but
I'm struggling to get raw figures out of it...  I'm trying to get this
info, because my program is going to be run on mobile devices, and they
like knowing what memory requirements are...

My program uses some libs - libxml2 for one - what i'd ideally love to
have is
total: X bytes
libxml2 : 50%
etc
or even
libxml2: Y bytes

I hope i've explained adequately.... Any help you could give would be
great...

Thanks,

Paul.

Re: massif question

njn (Bugzilla)-2
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Paul Harris wrote:

> I'm trying to use valgrind to find out the maximum heap size of my
> application, and I'd also really love to get a break down of what's going
> to what libs...
>
> is this possible with valgrind? Massif looks to be almost what I want, but
> I'm struggling to get raw figures out of it...  I'm trying to get this
> info, because my program is going to be run on mobile devices, and they
> like knowing what memory requirements are...
>
> My program uses some libs - libxml2 for one - what i'd ideally love to
> have is
> total: X bytes
> libxml2 : 50%
> etc
> or even
> libxml2: Y bytes

Are you after the peak allocation in each library?  Massif can't give you
that, but it would be a good starting point for such a tool if you are
willing to do some hacking.

N?

Re: massif question

Paul Harris-4

yeah that's it - just like a 'high water mark' of memory usage for every
library, and for everything over all...

Because some of the libraries like the xml are pluggable, it's useful to
know how much it's using, as it might show what needs to be replaced etc,
or highlight that my program isn't as bad on memory as it originally
appears ;)

I might have a look into massif.  I haven't played much with valgrind or
anything, so it should be interesting...

Thanks,

Paul.